Tuesday, December 23, 2008

True Meaning of Christmas

Happy Tuesday everyone! Is Christmas really just a few days away? Should I be done wrapping and making gifts?! Nah!! First of all, I wanted to say congratulations to my friends Laura and Neal who welcomed their baby boy, Tyler Michael into the world on December 22. He weighed just 4 lbs. 12 oz. and was 18 in. long. He was born at exactly 11 am. We are all so glad he is finally here and I cannot wait to tell him that I was the crazy lady who was always talking to him through his mommy's belly!

I love getting my mail this time of year. Of course, there is the occasional bill but my box is also full of Christmas cards. I get to catch up on everyone's lives and see pictures of children who are growing up way too fast. As the days have gone on, I have felt a little bit sad because I knew I would not be getting one of my favorite Christmas cards. Every year, our dear friend Lucy would make a card with a photo collage of her family. There would be pictures of her children, grandchildren, and her husband throughout the whole year. It would be like taking a trip through their whole year in one card. Lucy passed away earlier this year and even though I knew it was impossible, I still hoped her card would be there this year. Yesterday, it was! I can guess that her children put it together, but there it was, just as Lucy would have done it. It is full of fun pictures that show that life does go on. There is a quote on the card that says, "Smile, open your eyes, love and go on. You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday, or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday." So, even though this time of year is stressful, hectic, and does not always bring out the best in all of us, take the time to love those around you and truly be grateful for each day we are given! Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: