Thursday, June 25, 2015

Cherry Salsa

When summer comes around, so do Bing cherries!  Are you thinking what I am thinking?  Salsa!!  No? Well, you will after you try this Cherry Salsa.

This recipe was originally created by none other than Martha Stewart.  She suggests putting it on tilapia but I also like it on chips and spoons.

What you will need:

2 cups of pitted cherries, chopped up (I cut it into fourths because I like it chunky)
1/2 of a red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
About 3 tablespoons of cilantro (about 1/3 of the bunch you buy at the store)
lime juice (original recipe suggests 1 tablespoon but I use the whole lime)
Salt, pepper

Before you begin, go out and splurge on a cherry pitter. Seriously, you can remove the pits by yourself but your fingers will be stained cherry red for the rest of the summer. This might sound cool, but it is not.

Then cut up everything and mix it all in a large bowl.  I like to make it the night before to let all of the ingredients really mix well together. 

A few tips:  To cut up the cilantro, grab the bunch and scrape your knife against the stem.  The leaves will come right off for you. (Thanks to Ina Garten for this tip.)

Always handle jalapenos with baggies on your hands.  Then you will not get jalapeno juice in your eyes. 

Maybe I should go taste test this now? Enjoy!

No comments: