Thursday, June 7, 2018

Target Finds

I have a secret to admit.  I am a morning person. My two young dogs do not let me sleep past 6:30 am on most days so I am up and ready to leave my house by 8 am.  I love to run errands early in the morning before most people get up out of bed.  This is good, and bad.  Not every place is open by 8 am.  But Target is.

I'm pretty sure that it you cannot find it at Target, then you don't need it.  Anyone else feel this way?  A few Sundays ago, I made my early morning run to Target.  I realized that I needed to find a few graduation gifts and I knew that Michael's did not open until 10 or 11.  I decided to check out the craft aisle at Target.  I found these wood signs.
 These signs were only $5 each.  Super sturdy and ready to paint.  I grabbed a few.

One tough thing about painting signs like these is you cannot remove the rope.  I am not the cleanest painter in the world and I do not want to get paint all over the rope.

Painting Tip #1:  Use a little bit of scotch tape and wrap the tape around the rope near the hole.  This way, you get paint on the tape, not on the rope.


After you tape off the rope, all you need is paint and a foam brush.  I like to use foam brushes because they cover the area quickly and evenly.  For the paint, I use acrylic paints.  They are good for most surfaces.  This is just a color I had in my paint cabinet.  It had a touch of metallic sheen to it which I liked too.  I always paint two coats, just to make sure the wood is covered.  I also paint the sides.  I usually do not paint the back because no one sees the back.



 After you paint the two coats, let it dry for a few hours.  This way, it really sets.  Then carefully cut off the tape.  You will be so happy to see that no paint got on your rope.

For the saying, I used my Cricut along with some vinyl and cut out a quote.  If you do not have a Cricut, you can easily find stickers and add those.  (Or you can contact me and I can cut out a quote for you.)

Now my gift is done, and I did not have to go to lots of stores to finish it.  And it's only 10 am.  Thank you Target!

No comments: