Monday, September 4, 2017

Labor Day Place Mats

A three day weekend means more time to get stuff done - more time for laundry and cleaning and crafts.  Okay, maybe not more time for crafts but I added these place mats to my to do list so I had to get them done.

My sisters bought me these burlap place mats for my birthday. (It only took me a month to get them decorated.)  They were all folded up so I sprayed them with water and ironed them.  You can still see some of the wrinkles but I'm going to just live with them.

First, I had to decide what to paint on the place mats.  I used my trusty thesaurus to find words that meant the same thing as "eat."  (This is a lie - I actually used thesaurus.com.  Same thing, kind of.)  It might be fun to use different languages and different ways to say eat but my kitchen isn't really international so I stuck with English.  There are LOTS of ways to say "eat," so I chose six of them and typed them up in Cricut Design Space.  Each one is about two inches high.


I cut out each word using orange vinyl. Why orange?  Just because I don't use orange a lot and this project can use any color.  I needed to use the stencil part, not the word itself, so I carefully had to peel the stencil off of the vinyl backing. This got tricky, depending on the size of the word and the letters.  This took the most time and patience.  (I also kept the orange words because I thought I might be able to use them for another project.)



After making the stencils, I placed each stencil in the corner of a place mat.  Now, burlap has holes in it.  (I remembered this the hard way.) Make sure to protect your work surface.  I used a roll of cheap table cloth that I cut apart along with newspaper.


Using a sponge brush, I painted using black paint. Don't use too much and use a dabbing motion to fill in any spaces that need more paint.  Then peel off the vinyl right away. I kept a garbage bag nearby to throw away the now black vinyl.


Once you peel it off, set it aside to dry.  I let it dry for about an hour before I was sure it was ready to be put on my table.



Here are the final products.  What do you think?


No comments: